Choosing the right broodstock...
For this year and every year prior, our broodstock is chosen from the very best. We are always pleased with the variety and quality of the koi that come out of our breeding programs. We are happy to announce that Blackwater no longer imports koi from other breeders. All of our koi are 100% homegrown, protecting them from disease and allowing us to closely monitor their diet and health.
The chosen males and females have the most vibrant colors and desirable patterns. These koi are then matched together and placed in one of our many ponds. We currently have three farms with over one hundred individual breeding ponds.
After the female lays her eggs and the male has fertilized them, all the adult koi are removed from the breeding ponds and returned to the broodstock holding tanks. A full grown female can lay up to 600,000 eggs! With 50% fertility rate, the breeding ponds are soon swimming with koi fry. It's all we can do to keep these fry happy and healthy while watching out for natural predators such as heron and raccoons. Keeping a watch on all the baby koi is a full time job for many of our staff.
Netting and Culling
Once the fry have grown big enough, the koi are netted and culled, guaranteeing that only the best koi leave the farm. The rest are then mixed into various ponds on the farm to assure there is plenty of variety when they are fished up to be packaged off to the stores. This process is repeated several times for each brood. When the fry reach 3-4" they are ready to sell. Each of the ponds are netted and culled one last time and the fish are sorted into classes. There are three different classes: premium, select and decorative. The fish are also sorted into fin type: butterfly or traditional.
Leaving the Farm
Once sorted, the koi are hand selected by professional koi catchers to assure each box has a good mix. They are then securely packaged using a specially designed boxing procedure that reduces stress on the fish. Our koi are shipped all over the world! It's top priority for us to make sure your order reaches you safely and in good health. The boxes, full of our koi, are then shipped into our loading truck and sent off to the airport, ready to be flown out. The rest is up to you! We strive to have successful business relationships with all of our customers. We are more than happy to recieve your feedback on our shipments and are always willing to help our customers by giving advice on how to keep your new fish healthy and happy. That's the Blackwater Creek way!
Shipping & Returns
Our order policies are fairly simple and straight forward.We are a wholesale business and thus our policies are designed to allow rapid fulfillment of your order with minimal effort by you, the buyer.
Be sure to place your orders by Noon on Monday for that weeks shipment. This will allow us enough time to get the best fish ready for you. Orders placed after Noon on Monday will ship the following week. Orders are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. On some of our larger accounts we do hold individual inventory to be sure that you recieve what you need when you need it.
1. Orders must be prepaid. We accept all major credit cards -- MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover. Company check or personal checks are accepted, however orders will not be shipped until the checks clear and stock quantities may change during the time the check awaits approval. Net terms are available on a very limited basis and only to those with a long-standing credit history in the fish business and with Blackwater Creek Koi Farms Inc. Wire transfers may also be done. Please contact us for wiring details.
2. Cancellation Policy. Due to the high demand and fast turnaround of our shipments, cancellations can cause major problems. Please be sure to order only those fish that you need. Cancellation of more than 2 orders may limit your availability of future fish.
3. Shipping. Your order will be packed to arrive safely at your door within 36 hours. Sometimes the ciuriers delay shipments and the packages cannot arrive on the flight we specified. These delays happen approximately 15% of the time. Should there be a problem with the packages after they arrive, please be sure to note any damage on the courier bill prior to signing for the packages. We cannot be responsible for delayed flights as this is out of our control.
4. Shipping to Canada - Please contact us for shipping instructions due to Canadian Regulations for importing Koi, Goldfish, and Koi food. Orders may be placed online, but shipping charges will be charged separately once order is confirmed with the office. Customers will need to contact the FedEx Regulation Solution Desk at 866-814-7741 to arrange clearance of shipment through Canadian Customs. Please note: we have no control over Customs and if they decide to pull a shipment for inspection and shipment is delayed there is nothing we can do. We will do everything in our power to make sure the orders and shipments go smoothly.
Orders are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. On some of our larger accounts we do hold individual inventory to be sure that you recieve what you need when you need it.
We strive to offer the very best in product quality, pricing and customer service. We know how important it is to receive your product in great condition and in a timely manner. In order to keep our prices as low as possible, we request that our customers do the following.
1. Float fish in the bags in the receiving tank for 1/2 hour.
2. Add your pond water to the bag filling it up to 50% of it's volume. Note their activities. Allow 15 minutes for the fish to acclimate and then release them. Do not place the water from the bag into your pond. If the fish act erratic, test your water for any problems prior to release and adjust accordingly.
3. It also helps to check the pH of both your pond water and the water in the fish bag. If the pH is drastically different, gradually add more pond water to the fish bag, waiting 15 minutes between each water addition, until the pH is equalized.
Packaging and Shipping
The water quality should be:
Salt Level 5ppt (5 lbs non iodized salt per 100 gallons) -- this is very important!
Temperature 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ammonia 0 PPM
Nitrite less than .25 PPM
Oxygen 4 PPM or greater
Notify Blackwater Creek within 72 of any problem for help in correcting it!
Your fish will be packed in polyethylene bags with pure oxygen and an ammonia absorbent. They are packed to arrive within 36 hours of packing in good shape. Fish are shipped via Federal Express Overnight. We cannot be responsible for any additional costs associated. Delays happen approximately 10-15% of the time and are usually less than 4 hours.. Other shipping days can be arranged at the customer�s request. You will be notified of the shipping details the day before shipment.